Should any student have a compliant or dispute with any Sisseton Wahpeton College employee, he/she has the right to have his/her objection heard and addressed.  Complaints may be filed after an alleged improper, unfair, arbitrary, or discriminatory action. This could include disputes over academic decisions, or if the student believes he/she was subject to unfair or unprofessional treatment by another party. The right of a student to file a grievance also applies to any circumstance where the student believes that he/she was the victim of harassment or discrimination because of race, color, religion, age, national origin, or sex.

 If a student believes that he/she was unfairly treated and/or has a justifiable complaint over an academic or policy issue, then that student should first discuss the matter with the party involved. The issue may simply be a misunderstanding or honest mistake that can be settled through a fair and frank discussion.

If this action does not satisfactorily resolve the issue, or if the student is uncomfortable approaching the individual, then within ten (10) working days of the event(s) that led to the complaint, the student should contact the Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA), Student Services Director, Department Head, or a member of the Student Senate.  At this point the student must complete a Complaint Form.  When meeting with the student the contacted official will provide consultation regarding conflict resolutions, student’s rights, obligations, and procedural options related to filing a grievance.  The contacted official shall submit the form to Vice President for Academic Affairs within two (2) working days, if the student contacted someone other than the VPAA.

Issues that may be considered to pose a significant threat, or may involve a violation of law or federal regulations can be referred to the appropriate official agencies. 

If the President determines the circumstances warrant it, the accused may be suspended pending review of the case. Such suspensions will not exceed a reasonable time frame, and will only be imposed when the safety or ability to learn of other students is threatened.

The student may pursue one of the following options to address their grievance:

  1. Mediation, which should be a preferred initial step in addressing a student grievance; or
  2. Grievance Committee Hearing, for all situations where mediation is inappropriate or where it has failed to satisfactorily resolve the grievance. 

Sisseton Wahpeton College is required to share information about formal written complaints with its accreditor. This information will include the following:

1. The date the complaint was first formally submitted to an appropriate officer;

2. The nature of the complaint;

3. The steps taken by the institution to resolve the complaint;

4. The institution’s final decision regarding the complaint, including referral to outside agencies;

5. Any other external actions initiated by the student to resolve the complaint if known to the institution.



  1. The VPAA* will review the summary of the student’s claim(s) and schedule a preliminary mediation session to occur no later than four (4) working days after receiving the Complaint Form.
  2. The student filing the grievance and the employee(s) identified in the grievance will be provided the summary of the claim, along with a notification of the time and location of the mediation session no later than two (2) days prior to the scheduled date.
  3. The mediator(s) will be selected by the VPAA* dependent on the nature of the grievance. In cases where the implementation of policy or procedural issues is at the center of the grievance the VPAA may participate as a mediator.  The mediator(s) will be provided the summary of the claim, along with a notification of the time and location of the mediation session no later than two (2) days prior to the scheduled date.
  •  Upon the conclusion of a successful resolution the lead mediator will draft a summary of the agreement, which must be signed by all parties, and submit it to the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
  •  Any party may decide to end the process of mediation by submitting a request for a formal hearing.  The mediator will provide the VPAA* with a written notice that mediation failed to resolve the issue and with a copy of the request.
  •  The student may end mediation without filing a formal hearing request.  In this case the mediator will provide the VPAA* with a written notice that mediation ceased on the student’s initiative. 
  •  Any grievance that involves the VPAA directly will be handled by Office of the President, which may be delegated to a representative.

Grievance Committee Hearing

The Formal Grievance Procedure will be followed as outlined in the Employee Handbook.






¨ To receive a quality education;

¨ To use the college facilities and receive the benefits of college sponsored activities;

¨ To participate in the governance of the college;

¨ To see his/her academic record as provided by the Privacy Act;

¨ To have transcripts sent upon request (providing all accounts have been paid in full);

¨ To make a copy of semester grade reports in the event that an official transcript cannot be released because of an outstanding account;

¨ To be informed of inadequacies in performance and the consequence thereof;

¨ To be informed of his/her rights and disciplinary procedures;

¨ To have recourse to a grievance process;

¨ To exercise individual freedom within the framework of the

       regulations, goals, and philosophy of SWC.



¨ To derive the greatest good from his/her college experience in the academic field and co-curricular activities;

¨ To abide by the policies and regulations of the college;

¨ To treat college equipment and facilities in a responsible



Once individuals register for classes, they are considered to be officially enrolled.  Individuals will continue to be officially enrolled until they and their advisor take steps to change their registration/enrollment status.  In those cases, Add/ Drop, and/or Withdrawal forms are available from the SWC Admissions/Registrar’s Office.
Simply no longer attending class(es) does not relieve the students of the responsibility for changing their official status.  Students are responsible for completing the procedure below if they decide to change their registration status.

Procedure: (applies to all  three conditions)

  1. All changes in registration status should be initiated by the student after he/she consults with his/her assigned academic advisor.
  2. All forms need to be signed by the instructor of the class, the student’s academic advisor, a student services official; and the student.
  3. Duplicate copies of the signed forms must be delivered to: SWC Registrar, SWC Financial Aid Director, and Bookstore/Student Accounts Receivable Manager.

Add/Drop:  Courses may be added one week after the first day of classes. A student may drop courses free of charge (with the exception of book fees if any) during the first two weeks of a semester.  The process for dropping or adding a course is initiated by the student consulting with his/her academic advisor. The instructor of the course must also sign the add/drop form, and then the student must return the form to the Registrar’s Office to be recorded.  After the established add/drop dates, full tuition and fees will be assessed. 


Classes may not be added/dropped after the deadline established on the academic calendar. 

If a student has not attended a class during the first ten instructional days, the instructor may administratively drop that student from the class.   


Withdrawal:  Either partial or total withdrawal from classes is an option available to students after the last date to drop a class has passed until the end of the withdrawal period, as specified on the academic calendar.  Students who withdraw from classes are still responsible for the full tuition and fees for those classes. Withdrawal from classes affects financial aid, so students should consult with the Director of Financial Aid before considering withdrawal. An instructor may initiate a withdrawal if a student has not been in attendance four weeks prior to the last day to withdraw.


Sisseton Wahpeton College utilizes an open admissions policy. SWC admits students of any race, creed, and national or ethnic origin. To be admitted under regular college admission requirements, a prospective student must possess a high school diploma or General Education Development (GED) Certificate:

1. Complete an SWC Application for Admission and return it to the SWC Office of Admissions. This must be submitted no later than one week prior to the date of registration.
2. Request that official academic transcripts and/or documents from all previously attended high schools, high school equivalency test centers, and colleges be forwarded directly to the SWC office of Admissions.

 NOTE: All transcripts received from other institutions that have been presented for admission or evaluation become a part of each student’s permanent academic file of the college and cannot be
released, duplicated, returned or forwarded to another institution.

 3. Former SWC students must complete a SWC Application for Re-admission and return it to the SWC Office of Admissions.
 4. Submit certification of Tribal membership, or Tribal ID, if a member of a recognized Tribe.
 5. Upon receipt of all required forms and documents as described above, an official letter of acceptance will be issued to the prospective
 6. Confer with the SWC Financial Aid Director for information on financial aid requirements.

 One is considered a transfer student if one has been enrolled for any college level course work, whether full-time or part-time, in a college other than SWC.

 Assessment tests in reading, writing, and mathematics are administered in order to place students in the appropriate courses.   All new students, as well as transfer students and former students who have not met the English or mathematics requirements, are required to take assessment tests.  Former students who attended SWC within the last two years are not required to retake the assessment tests. Non-degreed students or students with "Special Student" status who are registering for four credits or less may be exempt from taking the assessment test.  Assessment tests must be taken before the student will be allowed to register.

The “Ability to Benefit” is a requirement for students to enroll in a post-secondary institution if they do not have a high school diploma or General Education (GED) certificate.  A student admitted on the basis of “Ability to Benefit” must meet the criteria established by the Department of Education in order to enroll in classes and to be eligible for grants, loans, or work assistance.

        The information provided below about ATB tests/policies is subject to change without notice in order to comply with test publisher and Department of Education requirements.

In December 1990, the United States Department of Education issued a policy requiring the testing of applicants who did not possess a high school diploma or a GED (General Educational Development) credential but who wished to enroll in postsecondary education and apply for federal financial aid.
Passing an appropriate test at the specified level would indicate that the candidate has sufficient “ability to benefit” (ATB) from postsecondary education and consequently that the application process for federal financial aid could begin.  Reference:  Federal Register, Oct. 29, 2010 - effective July 1, 2011

The following scores will be used to determine if the candidate has sufficient “Ability to Benefit”.

The current minimum test scores are :      Compass      AccuPlacer

Math 1                                                25               34
Reading                                              62               55
Writing (Objective)                               32               60

 Any returning or continuing student with an outstanding balance will not be allowed to register for classes until payment arrangements have been made with the Business Office. SWC reserves the right to prohibit registering to a student who has not made satisfactory settlements to his or her account. Up to $200 of the student’s Pell award can be applied to an outstanding balance.
 1. Make an appointment with your assigned advisor. (Advisors are assigned based upon an individual student’s major program of study.)
 2. In consultation with your assigned advisor, select and schedule courses.
 3. Complete an official registration form with your advisor and submit it to the Registrar’s Office. Once this is done, you are officially registered for classes.
 4. Complete the Admission Checklist and return it to the Registrar’s Office.

Tuition and Fees per semester:
ISC funded students

Per semester hour                                $115.00
Example: (12 credits X $115)              $1,380.00

NON-ISC funded students
Per semester hour                               $125.00
Example: (12 credits X $125)             $1,500.00

                Registration Fee:
                           Full-time         $50
                           3/4-time         $45
                           Half-time        $35
                          Part-time         $20

Lab Fee (estimate)                      $50
Library Usage/Email Account Fee   $30
Building Usage Fee                     $25

Tuition and Fees per semester:
ISC funded students
Per semester hour                              $115.00
Example: (12 credits X $115)              $1,380.00

NON-ISC funded students
Per semester hour                              $125.00
Example: (12 credits X $125)             $1,500.00

                Registration Fee:
                          Full-time         $50
                          3/4-time         $45
                          Half-time        $35
                         Part-time         $20

Lab Fee (estimate)                     $50
Library Usage/Email Account Fee  $30
Building Usage Fee                    $25
Nursing Fee (each semester)        $5
Technical Fee                           $90
Books and Supplies (estimate)    $600
Graduation Fee.                        $40
Audit (per credit)                      $72

Costs of attendance is set by the Board of Trustees and may be changed at any time without prior notification.

 Any student who drops his/her classes BEFORE the two-week drop date deadline is not responsible for tuition and fees. Books will not be refundable if opened or written in. However, those students withdrawing from classes after the drop date will be responsible for payment of all costs including books.

 In order to encourage students to actively recruit new students to SWC, an incentive program has been established. For more information on this program, please contact the Admissions Office or consult the Student Handbook.








 It is the policy of the Sisseton Wahpeton College that no student be denied access to post-secondary education due to the lack of personal funds. Financial aid programs are available to students, who without such help, would not be able to attend SWC.  Financial aid is awarded for one academic semester at a time. All students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you complete this application and are considered ineligible, then the SWC Financial Aid Office will work with you to find other sources of financial assistance. Financial aid is processed according to the SWC academic calendar (add/drop deadlines, last day to withdraw, etc.).

 Financial assistance at SWC includes scholarships, grants, and Title IV programs such as PELL, Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal College Work Study Program. SWC has decided to not participate in the Federal Stafford Loan Program.

 Students interested in applying for financial aid should contact the Financial Aid Office for information and application materials.  FAFSA can also be completed online at:

 When submitting the FAFSA the SWC School Code is 016080.  This will ensure that SWC receives a copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR) electronically. The Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR) must be on file before being considered for Federal financial aid.

The Sisseton Wahpeton College adheres to the Higher Education Amendments of 1992.  Students who withdraw from all of their classes after receiving federal financial assistance and before completing at least 60% of the program, may not receive a full refund of  their award. Since SWC does not participate in the Federal Stafford Loan Program, the only refunds will be from the Title IV Pell Grant Program.  Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grants are generally not processed until after the 10th week of classes.  For all refunds the date of withdrawal will be determined by the date on the withdrawal form.

 Federal Pell Grant:  A grant from the federal government that does not have to be repaid if courses are successfully completed. Specific eligibility requirements for the Pell Grant are that the student be either an undergraduate, or be in an eligible  post-baccalaureate program, and not be incarcerated in a federal or state penal institution. Funds received through this program are used to pay tuition, books and fee costs.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG):  A grant from the federal government. Award provisions are:

   1. Full time students with zero expected family  (EFC) are given first priority
   2. 3/4 time students with zero (EFC) are given second priority
   3. If funds remain all other full time and 3/4 time students with an EFC higher than zero will be considered.

  Federal Work Study Program (FWSP):  If funds are available, this program provides employment opportunities for students who demonstrate a financial need. At SWC awards range from $500 to $3,000 per semester depending on need.  Students can work up to 20 hours per week. Applications are available in the SWC Financial Aid Office.

 Tribal Higher Education Scholarship Grants: (formerly known as BIA Higher Education Grant) - Are available to Native American students through the tribe in which they are enrolled; amounts of awards may vary. Awards are disbursed by Tribal  Education Officers. Native American students should contact their tribal headquarters to see if a program is available from their Tribe.

 Veteran’s Benefits:  Available to veterans of active military service. All veterans should contact the local Veteran’s Administration Service Office for more information.

 Vocational Rehabilitation:  Designed to assist students with  disabilities. Students who think they might qualify are encouraged to contact the Vocational Rehabilitation Offices located in their city or state.

 American Indian College Fund Scholarships:  The American Indian College Fund; headquarters in Denver, Colorado, provides scholarships. Eligibility for these funds is based on private donor requirements. A list of available scholarships is  posted at the beginning of each semester when they become available. All students are encouraged to apply and are strongly encouraged to search the internet for other scholarship opportunities. SWC Student Services and library have additional  resources for locating financial aid and scholarship opportunities.

Tuition waiver applications are available from the SWC Financial Aid Office. In order to be eligible for a tuition waiver you must meet the following requirements:

1. You must be a member of a federally recognized tribe.
2. You must be 55 years of age or older.
3. You must complete a waiver form each semester.

 Classes that have been taken before, regardless if you passed or failed the course in the past, are not eligible for tuition waiver.

Important:  All students applying for and/or receiving federal aid should be aware of the strict regulations governing such aid.  It is the obligation of the student to abide by all regulations and to provide correct and accurate data on the application form.  Failure to do so can result in penalties and loss of financial aid.

 The Business Office reserves the right to apply all scholarships and/or grants towards current student charges.
 All Financial Aid awarded will first be applied to a student’s account until a balance is no longer owed. If a refund is owed, please allow 5-7 business days for check processing.
 Sisseton Wahpeton College shall comply with all federal regulations which, when practiced in their entirety, constitute a viable management structure for student financial aid programs.

 The Education Amendment of 1976, P.L. 94-482, 20 U.S.C. 1088 (f.) provides that: any student assistance received by a student under this subcontractor - shall entitle the student receiving it to payments only if that student is maintaining satisfactory progress in the course of study that he/she is pursuing, according to the standards and practices of the institution.

To be eligible to receive financial aid, students must meet the following minimum standards as established by the Sisseton Wahpeton College:

1. Academic Standards:

  1. Students classified as freshmen (30 credits or less) must maintain a semester grade point average of 1.5 or better
  2. Students classified as sophomores (31 credits or more) must maintain a semester grade point average of 2.0 or better.

2. Rate of Progress Standards:

  1. Students must complete their program of study within 150% of the number of credit hours required for their program. For example: If a program of study requires you to
    complete 66 hours you will then be eligible to receive up to 150% or 99 credit hours to complete your program of study. After you have met the 150% program completion
    requirements you will no longer be eligible for Title IV financial aid at SWC.
  2. Students must successfully complete 2/3 (66%) of the semester credit hours attempted each term.

If a Title IV financial aid recipient fails to satisfy the standard of academic progress he/she will be placed on financial aid probation during the next semester attended. When on probation
students are eligible to receive Title IV financial aid.

  1. While on financial aid probation, if a financial aid recipient fails to satisfactorily complete each course attempted with an acceptable GPA, the recipient will be considered to be
    making unsatisfactory progress and will be placed on financial aid suspension. Financial aid suspension means termination of all Federal financial aid and scholarships
    administered by SWC. While on Financial Aid Suspension, the student is personally responsible for paying the costs of his/her attendance (tuition, books, and fees).
  2. In order to regain satisfactory progress status after being placed on Financial Aid Suspension, he/she must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 6 credit hours of coursework
    with an acceptable GPA. During that semester the student is not eligible for financial aid. A student on financial aid suspension cannot receive an I, F, or W (see p. 21 for
    description of these grade assignments) in any class for which they are registered.
  3. If a student withdraws from all of his/her courses during two consecutive semesters, that student will be considered to be making unsatisfactory progress, and will be placed
    on financial aid suspension. In order to regain satisfactory progress status, the student must follow the process outlined in Section B above.
  4. A student who is placed on financial aid suspension may appeal the cancellation of financial aid eligibility through the SWC Academic Standards Committee. All appeals will be
    handled in a case-by-case fashion.

Sisseton Wahpeton College has a procedure in place to know whether a student has begun attendance in all classes for purposes of the Federal Pell Grant Program. A student is
considered not to have attended a class in which SWC is unable to document that attendance.

Go to top