Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99)
FERPA protects currently or formerly enrolled students, regardless of their age or parental-dependency status. However, FERPA does not protect deceased students or students who have applied to Sisseton Wahpeton College (SWC) but have not attended any classes.
SWC allows faculty and other college officials to access information without prior written consent in the performance of their legitimate job duties under the exemption provided in FERPA.
Educational Records are any record, file, document or other material (handwritten, tape, disks, film, etc.) which contains information directly related to a student's academic progress, student financial information, student worker information, medical condition or personal interest item. This may include, but are not limited to:
- Documents with student’s name, ID, or other personal information
- Class schedules, attendance records, or grades
- Tests and other graded projects
- Notes taken during advising or disciplinary actions
School Official for this purpose is defined by SWC to include:
- Faculty and adjunct instructors
- Staff members employed by the college
- Members of the Sisseton Wahpeton College Board of Trustees
- Contractors and/or Consultants hired by the college to perform a special function (e.g. attorneys, auditors, software experts)
Legitimate Educational Interest of school officials includes:
- Performing a task specific to their job duties, contract, under the direction of the appropriate supervisory personnel
- Performing tasks related to a student’s education
- Performing tasks related to the discipline of a student
- Providing a service related to the student, such as counseling, financial aid support, consideration for academic honors or eligibility for scholarships and/or extra-curricular activities.
- Conducting institutional research, accreditation, or federal compliance activities
Directory Information is defined by the Sisseton Wahpeton College to include a student’s:
- Telephone Number(s)
- SWC Email Address
- Date and Place of Birth
- Tribal Affiliation
- Pictures/Digital Images
- Current Enrollment Status
- Field of Study and Course Load
- Dates of Attendance
- Degrees and Awards Received, including Dean’s List
- Participation in Officially Recognized Activities and Sports
- Information for Participation, such as Height and Weight for Athletics
Students may restrict the release of their directory information by submitting a written request to the Registrar’s Office. If a student blocks the public release of directory information, then all future requests for disclosure must be with the written consent of the student. This includes listing the student on athletic programs, promotional materials, the Dean’s List, and the graduation Commencement Program.